Sunday, February 24, 2019

Why You Should Never Go Grocery Shopping Without A List

You may have heard of the so called "myth" indicating that if you go into the grocery store while you are hungry, you will overspend because of your state of mind.  I happen to believe this to be true.  But there's also another "rule" I follow which indicates that it's just as dangerous to go into a grocery store without a shopping list.  As a practitioner who spends much of my time supporting clients in getting and staying organized, and increasing their productivity, I always advise my clients against this.  



Shopping without a list can lead to impulse purchases that aren't needed, as well as forgetting to purchase items that initially triggered the visit to the grocery store.  Additionally, according to Reuters Health, there is definitely a link between the practice of shopping with a list, the quality of food purchased, and overall health

There are numerous studies surveying food shoppers who use a shopping list vs. those who do not.  These kind of studies point to the relationship between this practice, BMI and health conditions of household members.  One study conducted by a credible source was the Pittsburgh Hill Research on Eating, Shopping & Health/PHRESH Study.  This study involved interviews, diet assessments and a collection of some medical data, including height and weight.  The results revealed that a definite underlying factor for drastic differences in health and BMI involved shopping with a list, which controlled impulsive buying and affected the decisions made and therefore, the quality of food purchased.


In my book, "Straighten Up! 50 Simple Ways to Live a More Organized Life (2016)," I offer some tips on ways to create a quick list even if you decide to embark on an unplanned visit to the grocery store.  One way, even if you have nothing to write with or no paper, would be to pull into the parking lot, think about what you need before getting out of the car, and type your list using the "notes" feature in your mobile phone.  If you are comfortable enough with technology, you could use the talk and text feature, in which case your phone would do the typing for you.  This method of creating a typed list works best for those of you who need for your shopping list to be visual.  Personally, I like the act of writing on paper when I'm doing a certain level of planning, but a shopping list is something that does not have to be visual for me.  With that being said, what I normally do if I decide to run into a grocery store and I don't have a list is, I simply record my shopping list using the voice recorder in my mobile phone.  This is another tip that I offer in my book.


Little habits can sometimes make a big difference, so I encourage you to try one of these tips and see if it makes a difference in the quality of the food you bring home.  I guarantee that it will ultimately impact both your health and your pocket book.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment