Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Managing Your Time Effectively

We all wear many different hats, and struggle from time to time with coming up with the best way to manage all of our priorities...between home, work, family, leisure time...how do we balance it all? Here are a few tips to not only help you get through the day, but to help you get the most out of your day, and be more productive. These tips can be applied both at home and at the office.
  • When you start your day, write up a list of all that you'd like to accomplish for that day. Identify the priorities on the list and be prepared to shift things around, even moving some of the items to the following day if necessary. One thing I've learned is that its nearly impossible to stick to such a list exactly as it is written, or as you have planned it. I've found that I am far more productive when I remain flexible enough to deviate from the list in order to put out fires and/or handle emergencies, returning to the list once the emergency situation is under control.
  • Don't be afraid to delegate when you need to. Many times, we are hesitant to ask for help and feel like we must do everything ourselves. One of the true characteristics of effective time management is knowing when and how to delegate tasks to those who are available and willing to assist you.
  • I always recommend to my clients that they keep one calendar. Having more than one calendar leaves plenty of room for error - there's always the possibility that you might forget to update one of them and double book..or even worse..forget about an engagement because its not on the calendar you checked that day.
  • Lastly, use your time wisely....even small intervals of time. This one is my favorites. Sometimes I'm amazed at how many things I have accomplished before arriving at the office in the morning. For example: in my area, Sams Club opens to business members at 7:30am, I often run in there at 8am to pick up a few items before going to my office in the morning. It is almost empty in there at that time, absolutely no crowds or long lines. Additionally, I often run out for lunch a little later in the day when most other people have already taken their lunch. This way I can handle errands like running to the bank or post office, and the lines aren't as long as they are around noon when everyone else takes lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment